CoFounding a Company is a lot like marriage; only more difficult. Usually, there are more than 2 people involved, there is a baby born on the first day (your company) and that baby will demand almost all your attention every day.
And you are legally bound to them; if you ever were to separate, there would be an issue of the custody of the baby, as long as it makes it.
Obviously, you have to get into bed with the right people!
Answer these 10 questions to know if you have the right co-founder for your company. The below are in singular (so you can judge one cofounder at a time)
Is your Co-founder –
- different enough that they bring a unique perspective and a different skill set than what you already have?
- similar enough that you don’t have large ideological differences and ambitions about where your company should go in the long run?
- someone you respect and respects you back?
- someone you trust and trusts you back?
- someone who you can rely on to deliver?
- the best at what he/she does?
- a team player?
- sold on the problem you are trying to solve?
- a self-starter?
- willing to learn?
Even a single “no” means you should rethink.
Are there any questions you would like to add here?